Brassfield Baptist Church was constituted on August, 23, 1823, by elders Zachariah Allen, James Weathers and William Worrel. The roots of that formation were planted over eighteen years earlier, however, when on July 17, 1805, James Weathers, John Matthews, William Moore and Robert Jeter were appointed commissioners of a meeting house. This meeting house had been erected on a plot of land on the north end of the church property and is today occupied by the cemetery. The union meeting house was used by various denominations on asssigned Sundays which was very common in that era. Baptist were at Brassfield from the start as James Weathers was a baptist minister.
The years 1805 through 1823 are a mystery as to what transpired at Brassfield's meeting house. In 1832 when elders Allen, Weathers And Worrel established Brassfield Church it was formed with only 19 members. The records for 1832, 1833, 1834 and 1835 are unavailable but growth was taking place as the membership has risen to 32 in 1836. From the year 1836 growth was rapid. The membership doubled from 41 in 1838 to 82 in 1840.
In 1841 the church received clear title to the one acre original site from Caleb Brassfield, then living in Tennessee. In 1842 the church purchased from Anthony Clement of Tennessee the approximate three acre tract on which the present structure stands. We do not know when the present structure was built; records of the church are not complete from the years 1842-1845. The records of the church are complete from 1846 and there is no mention in them of its construction. It is easy to imagine that with the rapid growth in numbers that the little log meeting house was inadequate and a new house became a necessity. Also the original wooden shingle roof was replaced in 1887 with tin. The normal life span of a wooden shingle roof is 40 to 50 years so this may help confirm an 1840's construction date. Combining all these evidences we arrive at a probable construction date of around 1842-1846.
On August 31, 1988, Brassfield Baptist Church was entered in the National Register of Historical Places. A brass marker is placed on the front entrance of the church.